Content marketing is a strategy used by many B2B marketers and for very good reasons. It's highly cost-effective and delivers long-term benefits.
In fact, 81% of B2B companies use blogging as part of their content marketing strategy while marketers who prioritize blogging efforts are 13x more likely to see positive ROI.
Here's why you should use B2B blogging and how to get the most of your efforts:
The Benefits Of B2B Blogging
While it often takes a few months for a content marketing strategy to gain traction, publishing valuable content on your website regularly can deliver many long-term benefits with high ROI, including:
Blogs were rated as the 5th most trusted source when people seek accurate online information. Publishing informative articles on your website can establish thought leadership, build credibility for your brand, and help attract more customers.
B2B companies that publish blog posts regularly get 67% more leads than those that don't. Sharing relevant and informative blog content is a great way to connect with prospects in the awareness stage. You can include lead capture mechanisms on your website to gather visitors' contact information so you can continue building relationships with your audience.
B2B customers are managing 85% of their vendor relationships virtually. Sharing relevant content on your website and via email campaigns is one of the most effective content marketing tactics to build trust with prospects, entice them to visit your website more often, and nurture relationships so you can increase conversion rates.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
89% of B2B buyers use the Internet for research before engaging with a brand. It's important to get on their radars at this early stage by making sure that your website appears high on relevant search engine results. Blogging offers a lot of SEO benefits, such as ranking for long-tail keywords, link building, and driving high-converting traffic. In fact, websites with a blog have 434% more indexed pages than those that don't.
Content marketing is a key component of an inbound marketing strategy, which is particularly effective for B2B companies. In fact, prospects that come across your content through search engines are 8 times more likely to convert than outbound leads (e.g., generated from advertising and direct mail.)
Social Media Presence
The new generation of B2B buyers uses social media heavily. In fact, 75% of B2B buyers are influenced by social media when researching products and connecting with vendors. Repurposing your articles on social media can engage prospects, build brand awareness, and drive traffic back to your website.
Blog content allows you to build awareness for your products or services and gives you the opportunity to include calls-to-action to the relevant webpages. This will not only drive direct traffic that's more likely to convert but also build keyword-optimized internal links that'll boost your SEO so you can get found by more high-quality prospects.
It's more expensive to acquire new customers than to retain existing ones and content marketing is a cost-effective way to help you stay top of mind. Publishing fresh content frequently is a great way to attract existing customers back to your website. By adding value, you can build loyalty, entice customers to buy more, and increase customer lifetime value.
Exposure and Visibility
Blog content can be repurposed in many formats and for different marketing platforms, such as social media posts, webinars, inforgraphics, videos, emails, slideshows, and more so you can expand your reach and gain exposure to more prospects without having to recreate the wheel.
A well-executed blogging strategy includes making sure that all your content is aligned with and reinforces your brand message. Blogging can help strengthen your brand voice and establish a consistent brand personality to build trust with your audience.
How To Increase the Effectiveness of B2B Blogging
Many businesses are now recognizing the benefits of blogging and B2B content marketing. What can you do to improve your business blogging strategy and stand out from your competitors?
Here's how to augment your content creation process and reap the benefits we have discussed:
- Research your target market and understand the kind of information your ideal audience wants at different stages of the customer lifecycle. This can help determine topics and promotion tactics to deliver the right information to the right people at the right time.
- Establish a style guide to ensure a consistent tone and voice in all published content so you can reinforce your brand image, build brand recognition, and foster relationships with your audience.
- Offer exclusive insights on trends or interviews with industry leaders to establish thought leadership. This will show your target market that you're tapped into the industry and understand their business challenges to build trust and credibility.
- Share industry-specific news and provide actionable insights. For example, report on new regulations, advancements, and trends and help readers understand their impacts on the industry.
- Discuss the challenges faced by your audience, offer helpful solutions, and show how your products can help them get better results. This can segue into a call-to-action that drives traffic to your product pages.
- Don't shy away from long-form articles. In fact, the average word count of top-ranking B2B content is 1,140-1,285 words. B2B audience value in-depth information that can help them advance their expertise and careers.
- Gather frequently asked questions from support tickets, live chat, forums, and your sales team. Answers to these questions can be turned into blog articles and you can leverage the long-tail keywords to improve search engine rankings.
- Repurpose blog articles to create content for different customer touchpoints. For example, spark a discussion on social media to engage your followers or draw information from a series of articles to create an informative webinar.
- Promote a lead magnet in your content to capture prospects' information so you can continue building relationships.
- Use email marketing and personalization technologies to deliver targeted content so you can drive high-quality traffic and increase conversion rate.
- Create exclusive content for existing customers to build loyalty and increase retention rate.
B2B Blogging: the Long Game
Blogging is great for generating organic traffic from search engine results. While it'll take a few months to gain traction, the results can snowball and deliver long-term benefits that keep on giving.
In fact, the longer you keep at it, the higher the ROI you'll get from business blogging. For example, one in ten blog posts is compounding, meaning organic search increases traffic to these pages over time.
Focus on building trust and relationships with your audience in the content creation process and don't forget to promote your content to the right audience.
Last but not least, establish clear business objectives for your blogging strategy and set KPIs to measure success. Evaluate your metrics regularly to fine-tune your strategy so you can optimize your ROI.
- Using blogs in your content marketing strategy is effective for so many B2B businesses
- Blogs offer a great way to generate new leads, develop better customer relationships, and build credibility.
- Blogs can help with your SEO strategy online as well.
- There are many different ways to tailor your blogs for what is right for your company.