It’s easy to get lost in all the do’s and don’ts of digital marketing. It’s an ever-changing landscape of rules, tips, and tricks.
Social media and search engines are constantly updating their algorithms, and it’s up to the digital marketers to keep up.
Digital marketing is a crazy fast industry, but don’t fret—there’s enough resources on the Internet to keep you grounded about what to do and what to avoid when marketing your brand online.
Here’s a list of common mistakes businesses make in digital marketing.
1. Focusing too much on the hard sell
Digital marketing and traditional marketing strategies are different sides of the same coin.
Where traditional marketing forwards the “hard sell” (or aggressive sales and advertising), digital marketing favors the “soft sell.”
Soft selling is low pressure, persuasive, and subtle. Businesses transitioning to digital marketing often forget that the key to marketing online is focusing on selling their brand story and their philosophy—a.k.a. the soft sell.
By doing so, brands are essentially building customer relationships and trust instead of simply advertising their services or products.
To master the soft sell, try the following strategies:
- Invest in “influencer marketing,” or get social media influencers to promote your brand in their posts subtly.
- Make it a point to post about your company culture and feature your employees on your website’s “Team” page.
- Consider publishing inspirational content if it fits with your marketing strategy. People love feeling uplifted, and by providing them with that kind of content, you’re feeding into their emotional satisfaction.
- Produce great blog content. Information is power, and brands who thrive on being a treasure trove of information have an easier time of building customer loyalty.
2. Targeting the wrong audience
While incorrect targeting isn’t a mistake exclusive to digital marketing, it’s a mistake that costs digital marketers highly.
Investing in a pay-per-click campaign that’s speaking to the wrong audience segment is a waste of time and money.
Everything from your banner ad copy to your web layout should resonate with your audience.
For instance, your brand should invest in a custom-made law firm website design if your target market is lawyers. Consult with marketing firms who specialize in the industry your brand is in.
3. Producing bad content
Original, informative, and entertaining content is crucial in any digital marketing strategy.
Content is how you establish that you’re an authority in your field and how you create a following for your website.
Good content is also the driving force behind your website traffic. By having excellent content, search engines like Google are more likely to present your website as part of their search results—giving off the impression that your website is trustworthy.
Here are a few tips to have great content:
- Hire a good writer. Search engine optimization can be learned, but good writing skills are hard to find. Get your brand a writer who can pen articles in your brand’s voice while being able to observe word counts, deadlines, and SEO rules.
- Link to your own articles. When writing, make sure to link to the appropriate articles or pages. This shows search engines which of your pages are the most important and gives them an idea of your site’s structure and page hierarchy.
- Have trustworthy websites link to your sites. By having links pointing to your blog on trustworthy websites, search engines understand that your site is trustworthy as well.
4. Underestimating mobile
Everyone has a smartphone, which means more and more people are using their phones to access the Internet instead of their computers. After all, it’s easier to open your phone’s browser app than to start up your laptop.
Optimize your website for mobile use, and watch your web traffic shoot up. Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
- Speed up your site by reducing the sizes of your images and minifying your code.
- Adjust your web layout for mobile screens by getting rid of pop-ups and avoiding Flash on your site (Apple doesn’t display Flash on Safari).
- Invest in a mobile app, if applicable. Businesses that require customers to make appointments should consider building their own app, so their market can more easily interact with them.
Digital marketing shouldn’t be an exercise in trial and error. No digital marketer should go into a campaign blind. Keep this list of mistakes to avoid in mind, and you should have an easier time building your marketing strategy.
The largest digital marketing mistakes:
- Focusing too much on the hard sell
- Targeting the wrong audience
- Producing bad content
- Underestimating mobile
About the Author: Nicole Anders contributes articles for ONE400 as her own way of helping service-based businesses, especially those which are associated with the legal practice. Since these types of businesses don’t have any intangible product to offer to the market, Nicole believes that with the right strategies, service-based businesses can still strive and succeed. Her articles talk about different marketing strategies such as tips on how to create a law firm website design and common SEO practices. During her leisure, Nicole loves to spend time with her family and friends.